Linen is a natural fabric that makes clothes very comfortable and breathable. These qualities make linen clothes popular all around the globe, especially among people living in hot and humid climates. Linen is strong and durable which makes it ideal for clothes and other household textiles. Linen can easily be blended with other fabrics, which affect the way it should be cared.
The best part of pure linen is that it becomes softer and lustrous with age and can be passed from generation to generation. So how would you take care of your favourite linen shirt? Here are some methods that will make your shirt long-lasting and maintain its original shine.
- Read the manufacturer’s instruction before washing your shirt.
- You can either dry clean or hand-wash your linen shirt. You can also wash it in a washing machine with other similar fabrics.
- Make sure you’ve removed everything from the pockets and wash with clothes of similar colours. Also make sure there are no clothes with zippers and sequins, since they can damage the fibre.
- It is always recommended to use warm water while washing linen clothes. If you are using a washing machine, set it to gentle cycle. Use a mild detergent.
- Linen cannot be bleached, so to remove stains use white vinegar or sprinkle talcum powder on the stain and leave it overnight.
- Hang the shirt to dry. You can dry linen in a dryer with low heat and remove while still damp.
- Make sure the iron is clean so that it does not stain the fabric.
- Turn the shirt inside-out before ironing. It is recommended to iron linen shirts while they are still moist for best results. Once done, iron the other side.
- Hang linen shirts on padded hangers to ensure the shoulder area is not worn out. Always put linen clothes in well-ventilated closets. If you opt to fold your shirts, refold very often till you wear them. This prevents the material from fraying from the folds.
- To remove wrinkles, use dry iron rather than a steam iron.
Many linen shirts have a ”Dry Clean Only” tag, so take no chance when cleaning such materials. Linen shirts from Aditya Birla Linen Club are made from pure linen and can be easily taken care of.